Date/Time: Wednesday 1 February 2023 19:00-21:30
Session No: 1
The iconic Desert Stanzas returns this year! A night that marks the beginning of the 15th edition of the Emirates Airline Festival of Literature. Over the course of the evening, immerse yourself in performances and narrative dialogue as we reminisce on ancestral wisdom and past cultures, and as we look forward to Cop 28, explore how we carry this rich past into our present and future. This year the evening marks the opening of the Festival, with international and regional voices interpreting and celebrating a narrative that advocates climate change and the future of our children in the light of the Festival’s theme, Old Friends.
This is an event unique to Dubai and unique in Dubai, and always a highlight of the Festival. Be sure to book early!
Narrated by Dr Afra Atiq and Habib Ghuloom, the Desert Stanzas lineup includes:
Art for All
Abdullah Jamal Al Hammadi
Dubai Youth Choir
Mariela Shaker and Riyad Nicolas
Moza Al Mazrouie
Najat Al Dhaheri
Zeina Hashem Beck
To make your evening more comfortable we recommend the following:
• Please carry warm clothing such as jackets, coats, etc.; temperatures drop dramatically in the desert.
• It would be best to wear warm and comfortable closed toe shoes.
• There are RTA buses leaving from the Main Entrance Foyer, Intercontinental Hotel, Dubai Festival City at 17:45 and 18:00 going to the event. Please be on time as the buses will not wait and there are no later departures. The buses return after 21:00.
• If you self-drive, there is a car park and a short walk to the camp. You do not need a 4x4.
• Please follow exact google location pin as it will guide you to our drop-off point. The camp is located in Al Sahara Desert Resort, and the name of the site is Caravanserai. See map here: https://maps.app.goo.gl/fgKWSjw6oaZcvM8Y7?g_st=iw(No 4x4 required).
• There will be vehicles located at several checkpoints guiding your way into the camp.
Dubai - Al Ain Rd/E66 from Al Khail Rd/D68
Follow Dubai - Al Ain Rd/E66 to Jebel Ali - Lehbab Rd/E77. Take exit 29 from Dubai - Al Ain Rd/E66
Continue on Jebel Ali - Lehbab Rd/E77 to your destination (Unmarked Road)